Ten pearls of wisdom
January 3, 2018 - Amanda
For the tenth and last in our series of “Tens” to mark Blue Sail’s first decade – here is our string of ten pearls, polished by the seas of experience 🙂 . Happy New Year everyone!
- Always start with where you want to get to and then work back from there
- Things always take longer than you think they will – from writing a plan to executing it – so double the timescale you first think of – and then add some
- Do fewer things if you want to do them well – quarter the number of actions you start out with – and then remove a few more
- Constantly ask yourself – “who is my visitor and what would they think of this” – all the time, every day, for everything
- It’s not about the money – not really; it’s about the people
- A consultant report is just the write-up; it’s how they got there and who they involved along the way that counts
- Remember – the best learning is the process, not the ‘thing’; the ‘thing’ has been done before
- We are storytelling animals: we’re hardwired to absorb, remember and retell stories. So turn your data into stories, and touch people’s hearts as well as their minds
- Partnership isn’t easy, and it isn’t quick. You have to work at it, and work hard. But it’s worth it. Strong partnerships get things done
- Dare your destination to be its true self, not a copy of somewhere else.
If you enjoyed this blogpost, do catch up with our other Top Tens – 10 engaging experiences, 10 characterful towns, 10 standout scapes, 10 houses with delicious stories, 10 tips for place marketing agencies, 10 inspired gardens, 10 captivating events, 10 places to meet and 10 intriguing attractions.